There were two additions to the Switzerland County School Board last week that most probably missed. The board added two student representatives, Miss Kimberly Cutter and Miss Cora Castle, to act as advisers and give a student perspective on various issues. The two were picked from a large group of students who expressed interest in the position.
Superintendent Michael Jones commented “It had been a goal of mine for two years and the School Board had also expressed interest in it. I then went to the Administrators at the High School. Mr. Goewert and Mr. Todd set up the process for selecting the students. Several students expressed interest in it, and they conducted interview sessions, along with various staff members, before finally settling on two students.”
The students are expected to provide input and give opinions on various issues that not only affect the student population but the community as well. Below is a list of the position expectations.
- To attend each regular public school board meeting (3rd Monday of each month at 6pm).
- To answer questions from the school board, giving a student perspective on various aspects of the school corporation.
- To adhere to the Code of Ethics of school board members
- To advise, when asked, about school policy & bylaws in accordance with the law and in accordance with the educational needs of the people in of the school community
- To share ideas in relation to policy and/or rules concerning the use of, and protection of, school property